Sunday, January 16, 2011

My personal book club

I miss my son... and his library. Since he moved his little family to Kentucky it is much harder to borrow books from him. When I finished my last borrowed book: The Resilient Gardener, I realized I was going to have to take desperate measures. 

Yes I know I could go to the library and borrow books, but they don't often have the titles I want and they insist on having the books returned within two weeks. Soooo I looked at the budget and decided on a safe "recreational" allowance for myself. I couldn't bear to wait for a new title in the mail so I made an excursion into the closest Borders. I settled on Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal Vegetable Miracle".

Why you may ask did a farm girl from way back feel compelled to read a book written about a family eating local? It's not my fault. At least once a week, someone says, :"Have you read...." "No, but that's the way we live." I would reply. And then I would explain about our food choices and how food choices affect the economy locally and globally. Which is usually followed by an incredulous stare and  the comment, "I can't believe you haven't read this book." So I read the book. So when they asked the question I could just say "yes, yes I have read it."

Not much in it that I didn't already know, but I found myself really enjoying Kingsolver's writing style and the asides by her husband and daughter. And I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes.

But you don't have to read the book to go local and you don't have to read the book to try the recipes. Go to localharvest.org to seek out local sources for seasonal foods and go to AnimalVegitableMiracle.com to find Kingsolver's recipes.

Go local! Become a localvore! Try some adventure eating! Eat well! Know your farmer, know your food!

Sorry there for a minute I got carried away. ;^)

I am almost finished with "Animal Vegetable Miracle". So I pulled up amazon.com and ordered 3 more titles: one on breeding your own vegetable varieties, one on gardening West of the Cascades and one about gardening is less than perfect times. Now I am eagerly waiting for the mail lady each day.

Maybe I'll post book reviews!! Oh horrors! did I say that out loud? :^)

No comments: