Sunday, January 16, 2011

Contestant number one...

My DD gave me what she says is THE best homemade brownie recipe ever: Malt Fudge Brownies
Ok. I had been promising Brian homemade brownies for about 2 weeks. My excuse for not making them... well I kept thinking I'd make them  in the evening after dinner. Problem is after dinner I am too tired and my foot/knee hurt too much to spend time working on brownies in the kitchen.


So Friday morning as soon as I got up I started making brownies. I wish I had waited until I had at least had a cup of tea!
Here is what I did:
Preheated oven to 325 degrees. Ok so far so good. The recipe said to stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/3c malted milk and 1/2 tsp of salt. I didn't have any malted milk so I left that out. It will be ok, right? Set aside. Grease a 13 X9 pan. I used glass.  Seemed like a good idea and it's the only 13 X9 pan I own.
In a saucepan over medium heat put 1 cup butter, 4 oz unsweetened chocolate cut up. Heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of sugar. I forgot to stir in the sugar.


Add 4 eggs one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon between each egg just enough to combine. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir.
This is when I realized I forgot the sugar. So I stirred it in too. 

Stir in flour mixture, 1 cup nuts (The recipe calls for walnuts but I'm allergic to walnuts and Brian doesn't eat nuts. So I left them out at this point.)

Squash up about a 1/4 cup of malted milk balls and stir those in too. This was sort of fun and a whole lot easier when I used my biggest round spatula to do the squashing.


 
Honey waited patiently in hopes that I would drop something
yummy on the floor. Or is that a worried look? Maybe she noticed
that I forgot the sugar?

I squashed up some more malted milk balls for the top and added a handful of pecans to one end for me. Then popped it into the oven for 35 minutes.

The recipe said to cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack. This part I did right.
So how are they? I don't think they are chocolatey enough.The finished product was pretty blonde. The texture was good and fudgey though.  Brian says they are good but "Wow! They're rich!" What did he expect from all that butter and sugar?

I think next time I will half the recipe. A 13 X 9 pan of brownies on the counter is just too much temptation and too much sugar for our middle aged selves. I think I may cut down the sugar just a bit - and remember to put it in at the right time.LOL  Also I think I will add more chocolate or maybe higher coco content chocolate. I used some organic chocolate I had in the pantry this time.

Bring on ultimate brownie recipe contestant number II!!

I'll let you know how it comes out with the tweeks just as soon as we recover from this batch!

No comments: